Sunday, January 25, 2009

900 Years of History in Ely

I just have a few minutes but I wanted to let you know about our exciting day yesterday. We decided to take a trip to a town about 20 min away called Ely to see the cathedral. Man did we pick the perfect day!!! We got there around noon and come to find out they were celebrating their 900th year of the city and the Archbishop of Canterbury was coming to preach at the service they were holding that afternoon. They had given out all the tickets but were letting as many people in as they could so we were able to go. Now, we had never seen the Archbishop so of course we had no idea what he looked like. As the service began, all of the people involved in the service walked down the side aisle right where we were and the last person stopped right next to us. He was an older man with a gold robe and funky hat and staff and the craziest eyebrows we have ever seen! Haylee was smiling at him and he was smiling back and waving and making faces at her. Then they walked back up to the front and that guy started speaking and I realized that was the Archbishop!!! The man that was flirting with my 16 month old!!! Haylee didn't care but I thought it was so exciting =) The service was incredible to be a part of and then afterward we were walking out the door and he was standing there shaking people's hands so I asked if I could get a picture of he and Haylee. I can't wait to put this picture up because it makes me laugh everytime I look at it. You think of the Archbishop as this high and mighty man and here he is crouching over next to Haylee's stroller grinning like a fool. It made our day!!! What an incredible opportunity to be a part of such an amazing day in history!!

I'm not sure where our next adventure will be but I'm hoping Paris will be soon! I think we will do that on our next 3 day weekend so we have plenty of time to sightsee. Please keep John in your prayers, he officially starts at the shop tomorrow and they are doing some kind of military exercise so he has to work 12 hr. shifts all week. That should be fun! We are still loving it here and excited to really get settled into life. Our stuff should be here no later than the 6th and I can't wait! I guess that took up more than a few minutes...oh well! Love you guys!!!Inside the cathedral




Ely Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment